Puzlet Gems are a 1:12 miniature version of the famous 1920′s and 30′s wooden jigsaw puzzles .
Over the last 20 years there have been attempts to develop miniature puzzles of wood as a marketable product, but every attempt has been short lived. Their development is somewhat problematic even without old-fashioned whimsies; with whimsies they are almost impossible to work into a sustainable business model.
As you can imagine miniature puzzles of wood, like Puzlet Gems, are expensive and difficult to cut (they are line cut, not stamp cut), and changing the cut designs with every puzzle face image is not a streamlined process. The real secret to our unique business model is to treat Puzlets as a specialized art form – which they are – and offer them in limited editions, rather than in one-cut-fits-all production for the masses. These are truly rare puzzles, and highly collectible puzzles.
Upon receiving your first Puzlet, no matter what the cut design, you’ll quickly appreciate the care and obvious planning that must go into designing such small, 1:12 scale wonders!
Puzlet Gems are very fun to work! Certainly miniature puzzles and pieces present a unique challenge to puzzlers, but nothing too difficult. Our customers and reviewers have included senior citizens, as well as pre-teen children. All ages agree that Puzlets are highly workable and very enjoyable so long as they are assembled on a suede, or suede-like surface. This prevents the miniature puzzle pieces from sliding around as you try to fit them.
The average Puzlet Gem contains 90+/- pieces and takes about an hour and a half to assemble on the first try. Just as with the antique and vintage puzzles of times past, wooden Puzlets come without guide pictures.
Something else we highly recommend for making assembly enjoyable is to raise your work surface. Puzlet pieces are easier to match if you’re viewing them close-up, but you don’t want to be stooped over while assembling. A big book, or a weighted shoe box works nicely.
Tags: collectible puzzles, miniature puzzles, antique, vintage puzzles
Any Puzlet Gem can be made into a hanging ornament puzzle for Christmas or gift-giving. Here’s how:
1. Using an Xacto knife and stiff clear plastic sheeting (overhead mylars, report covers, scrap x-ray film, etc.) cut out two ornament cover pieces (front and back) in the shape of the assembled Puzlet, measuring 1/8th inch extra around all edges.
2. At 1/8th-inch in from the edges of the covers cut 1mm x 1.4-inch slits at top, bottom and sides of mini covers, as shown.
3. Cut four 8-inch pieces of ¼-inch ribbon, and thread through front and back slits of covers. Insert Puzlet and tie little bows at each edge being sure not to pinch covers too tight as it will cause them to bow. Take your time…you can do it!
4. Using a standard 1.25-inch paperclip, open it up and press into a flat “S.” Run one hook of the paperclip under the top bow of the covered ornament puzzle. Your Puzlet Gem is now ready to hang as a charming decoration!
Note: If your Puzlet isn’t holding together well and you are concerned pieces may drop out the sides or bottom, just add a line of clear puffy fabric paint, tacky glue, or caulk along the inside edges of your back cover. Allow to dry thoroughly before assembling ornaments (ornament puzzles).
Here are some fun and unique ideas for gift-giving with Puzlet Gems:
Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or Special Occasions
- Hang a Puzlet as an ornament off a single long-stemmed Rose
- Slip a Puzlet inside a special card
- Wrap a Puzlet in your own note of affection or poetry
- Puzlets make great stocking stuffers
- Hang Puzlets as ornaments on the tree – a sweet Christmas collectible!
Include Puzlets in Stress Relief Kits (or Get Well Kits)
- Put together a heart-warming stress relief kit that includes a Puzlet Gem. Free kit instructions are available to our VIP’s. See the Puzlet Gems storefront for details. These also make wonderful Get Well kits.
Easter Egg Surprise for Grown-Ups
- Disassembled Puzlets are fun to give on Easter. Just find or make a beautiful egg box and put the Puzlet pieces inside. You can even hide the egg from your loved one
Tags: collectible puzzles, gift puzzles, miniature puzzles, christmas collectible, ornament puzzles
Puzlet Gems range in price from $35 to $65, and edition limits start at 60 plus proofs, and may go as high as 1000 plus proofs for any given cut and image. We’ll just have to wait and see how broad of a collector’s base develops in the coming years.
The nice thing about collecting miniature Puzlet Gems is that they are a type of value-holding investment. As limited edition art they stand a good chance of maintaining, if not gaining in value over time. Of course no one can predict the future, but that is the premise behind limited editions in any art form; they generally under-supply demand which helps keep resale values high.
All Puzlet Gems come with a mini certificate of authenticity.
Tags: collectible puzzles, collectors puzzles, rare puzzles, miniature puzzles